Type of work
Electrical, Mechanical & Civil Engineering
ACIEM was engaged as Principal Contractor for Bristol Water at Dundry Reservoir. This was a green field site and ACIEM commissioned a new twin compartment service reservoir (1.1Ml) integrated with a valve/pump-house control facility. Our multi-disciplined work on this site included:
- Electrical, Mechanical & Civil Engineering to achieve a working and commissioned product for our client,
- Heavy construction work at height,
- Significant temporary works,
- Production of high quality water retaining reinforced concrete,
- Hydraulic testing of structures, pressure testing of pipelines,
- Chlorination of structures and pipelines.
The reinforced concrete and civils work design was provided by the client and all M&E detailed design by ACIEM (including internal access steelwork). ACIEM also built the electrical MCC panel off-site. This offered the advantage of having a tight commercial arrangement, combined with the advantage of in-house discussion and collaboration. There were some challenges which have been overcome:
- Difficult rural access routes for HGV transport through the village with a primary school. Times of deliveries on a fixed route were planned around school time.
- A noise and physical barrier was constructed to protect an adjacent domestic property.
- Because of planning difficulties, the contractor instigated advanced concrete mix trials at an off-site location to minimise delay to the main critical path structural work.